Small fleet operations across the country find themselves in a delicate situation where their decisions could have tremendous effects on their business. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s (FMCSA) ELD mandate, forces fleet operations large, and small to make changes. For small fleets deciding how to implement technology and which system to operate on is a difficult decision and can cause some tension.
There are a few options when deciding the course of action for implementing necessary changes required by the FMCSA’s new regulations. There are stand-alone solutions that come in the form of on-board recording devices (AOBRDs). This technology has been utilized by larger fleets for a number of years. The other option is a full-fledged telematics solution system like that offered by us, MarshallGIS. Telematics solutions are in a period of rapid growth and expansion, and have the advantage of covering many more aspects of fleet management than just time logging.
When it comes to pricing, stand-alone solutions vary greatly from provider to provider. Prices ranging from $150 to $2,000 per vehicle can be expected which means a large variance in quality. Being sure that you’re acquiring the right stand-alone solution can be tricky. Telematics solutions utilize web-based administrations and other telecommunication services and generally set costs based on monthly payments for service ranging anywhere from $8/month to $40/month and higher depending on the size of the fleet and functionality provided. With telematics solutions data acquired is much more elaborate and encompassing of different aspects specific to each manager’s operations. Something LiGO® solutions boast is its customization functionalities where managers can customize the software to record, capture, predict, and analyze data specific to their needs.
We at MarshallGIS invite managers of fleets of all sizes currently going through the process of making these decisions to explore the possibility of seizing this opportunity to improve operations by employing a full telematics solution as opposed to the stand-alone solutions for a number of reasons.
- Change is a given, so why not have that change be the best form of change to begin with. Stand-alone solutions work, but not to the extent that a full telematics solution would work in improving efficiency. Our LiGO® solutions software boasts features like real-time tracking, smart-tracking, Reports, Geo-fences & points of interest, and much, much more.
- Future mandates by the FMCSA are probably going to arrive sooner or later, and not having made that extra push in the first place might incur more costs in the future. With safety being the main priority of the FMCSA; it is reasonable to assume that more regulations are going to arise in the future. Maybe stand-alone solutions will lack the capabilities required of these mandates.
- The third reason is that our telematics solutions do cut costs in the long run. Decreased fuel consumption, optimized work routes, and overall streamlining of operations increase quality of work whilst simultaneously cutting costs where possible.
- Our telematic solution is in line with the many regulatory laws, and provisions necessary.
- There is no need to fear the technology – with LiGO® we offer, the very best (and free!) training and implementation planning so that you and your fleet remain prepared and your system is optimized.